I would define social diversity as the differences in groups of people in a society. For example, race, religion, age, culture, and sex are all groups that are diverse in our society. Multicultrism is the idea of how society encourages and allows the people in it to explore and learn about important contributions made by diverse groups of people. Multiculturalism is encouraged in America based on the idea that we are living in a melting pot of all different and unique types of people and ideas. Different issues of diversity have an important role in everyone’s life since it shapes how society lives. I didn’t grow up in a very diverse town so coming to Illinois State University really opened my eyes to social diversity and showed me how much of a mixing pot America really is. Most importantly though, I feel that I was able to learn about new people and different ideas and discover how significant social diversity really is.
My freshman year of high school my friend hosted two teenage girls from Mexico. My friend and I were able to teach them part of our culture and give them a taste of America by showing them how we lived and what we do for fun. In return they showed us how to make amazing Mexican food and told us about their life growing up in a different country. It was also really interesting to see how prominent social diversity really is in our society. My friend still keeps in contact with the girls, but this experience really taught me to be more open to different types of people and showed me that all groups of people can have something amazing to share with others.
I am very interested in women’s rights. This is a very important issues facing today’s world. I am interested in criminal justice and I think that this issue correlates well because some women get into the system because they grow up not equal in society to men.
No comments:
Post a Comment